Friday, July 27, 2007

WE ARE TOO TRIGGER HAPPY Pt. 1


trig·ger-hap·py (trig'er-hap'e)
adj. Slang'
1. Having a tendency or desire to shoot a firearm before adequately identifying the target.
2. Inclined to react violently at the slightest provocation. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trigger-happy)

Having adequately defined the term trigger happy i will now give an example NOEL HUNTER, 50, building contractor of Portmore, St. Catherine.

For those of you who a among the majority who refuse to listen the news, or the even greater majority who refuse to (or are unable to) read anything sold for $25 and printed in black and white, I will start
with a debrief.

"
The allegations are that last week Saturday, Hunter was driving along Chisolm Avenue when a man of unsound mind threw a stone at his motor car.

It is further alleged that during a between Hunter and the man of unsound mind, Hunter fired a shot from his licensed firearm which struck Brown who was nearby." (http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20070726/news/news10.html)

It is beyond my obviously insufficient comprehension why on earth some firearm holders feel the intense urge to respond to the simplest of incidents by exposing their weapons. I was deeply upset and saddened at the story above, to the point where it took me a few news reports to believe it.

But as usually before you throw a stone, lets examine ourselves. We as Jamaicans are clearly too easily angered and TRIGGER HAPPY. And I said 'we' deliberately as I believe so am I.

Having heard the story, I immediately hurled my condemnation on the shooter (and I still do). Over the last few days, however, I realize that we all suffer from a serious level of 'Trigger-happy-ism'. We retaliate for the simplest of reasons and would use any available weapon to show our disgust at individuals. How many times have we been "bad drive-n" by a 'man pon di road' and given the opportunity we 'bad drive him back'. Or, how many times have someone stepped on our toe and instead of a peaceful response, we slap then as hard as we can with whatever object we can find. Most footballers in Jamaica would savagely tackle another player who he (or she) believes has just 'tackled him too hard.

Personally, I hate went people step 'pon' my shoes without apologizing. I believe even Hitler would be amazed and the things I would have done to the culprit given the chance.

The sad truth is, on many occasions, most of us would have shot at the man for less than what Mr. Hunter did. In our retaliations, we may have been fortunate enough to either have hit our target, or missed all together. But while we are hurling our attacks at Mr. Hunter (and justifiably so), let us use this as a lesson to put the safety on our weapons and remember that "a soft answer turneth away rath..."



No comments: